Thursday, April 8, 2010

#six: it's getting hot in here

The weather here has been scorching hot of late, reaching high temperatures of 30 degrees Celsius, which simultaneously reminds me of home and the Saharan Desert (not my home).

Which makes for occasionally awkward situations when you live on the first floor of your college dorm, sleep in a sports bra and find yourself in the middle of a conversation with a guy who's standing outside your window. Which is more inappropriate? To continue lying on your bed, as you were when said guy started conversation, a la Uma Thurman in the Pulp Fiction poster, or to pause the conversation to throw on a top?

In all honesty, this is probably just my Asian sensibilities getting to me. I have seen enough boobies for the semester, given all the well-endowed schoolmates of mine who have been sunbathing in the Quad.

Anyway, what I wanted to talk about was DONATING EGGS. The kind that can be fertilized, not scrambled. My professor was talking about morally repugnant actions; this fell into that category.

On a related note, I saw an ad in the college newspaper offering $10,000+ for the eggs of an Asian college student in the age range of 18-25. I totally qualify, and I totally need the money. My friends, however, were aghast, mostly because they could not reconcile the fact that sometime in the future, I might have little Rachels running around who may never know who their (real) mother is.

I maintain that the pros outweigh the cons (that in fact, cons are simply a semi-prudish reaction).

WHY SOMEONE SHOULD DONATE THEIR EGGS:
  1. Pays well. Asian girls get $10,000, and apparently if you're a supermodel and got a really high SAT score, you can get as high as $25,000.
  2. You can take the moral high ground here. You help mothers who may otherwise never get the chance to fulfill their maternal wishes. And more interestingly...
  3. You get to see what the different combinations your future offspring could take, without getting fat (multiple pregnancies) and awful social stigma (basically having sex with a million men).
Note: obviously this is not for everyone. Apart from the fact that you have to be healthy and STD-free, THIS PROCEDURE REQUIRES SURGERY and will probably actually make you gain weight with hormone pills. Just so you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment